Friday, February 16, 2007

Blimey Days I'm good ...

We’ve just been up to Southport for a couple of days visiting Andy’s kids. Normally this would be an excuse to come off the rails and eat out and eat bad things. This time however, IS DIFFERENT.

Our first eating out experience was Weds lunchtime. McD’s as usual, but FOR. THE. FIRST. TIME. EVER. I ordered a salad! The first week of my diet in January was the first time I’d ever ordered a salad in a restaurant, and I thought McD’s wouldn’t get the better of me. But guess what??

“We’ve run out of all of our salads.” WTF. So I ordered chicken strips and a bottle of water. I don’t know if it came with fries or whether the McTard just assumed I wanted it ‘as a meal’, but they gave me fries with it. I resisted. I had to move them away until the kids ate them for me, but I resisted.

Next challenge: A meal out at the Slug & Lettuce. I was tempted. George decided on Sicilian Chicken, which sounded lovely, but I (for the second time that day) ordered Chicken Caesar Salad. Why was I so disappointed when I got a plate of lettuce with a few pieces of cold chicken, 3 croutons and a load of not-very-enticing dressing? I was expecting a lovely munchy salad with lots of variety in it for £8.25, but on reflection, Chicken Caesar Salad is just lettuce, chicken, croutons and dressing so it was my stupid choice. G’s chicken was lovely though (I had 2 bites). Andy had the same as G and said it was lovely. There wasn’t a huge amount of it though, so I could probably have had it.

Next challenge: Dessert. I resisted (although I did try one bite each of George’s hot chocolate puddle pudding and Dylan’s sticky toffee pudding).

I have to admit that I did neck 3 pints of Amstel with my meal and then another couple back at the hotel.

Sunday morning. McDonalds again!! Surrounded by McBacon Rolls and Bacon/Sausage n Egg McMuffins I ordered porridge. Yes, porridge. “Would you like jam or syrup with that?” “No Thank You”. (I’m sure it will be delicious on it’s own.) I had a sachet of Splenda mixed in. It wasn’t too bad.

And on the journey home, not able to face another McD’s, we called at Tesco where I picked up a salad whilst the others had sandwiches.

I am very, very pleased with myself.

3 comments:

scootergoth said...

Hell

scootergoth said...

I meant to say hello but ive had a hell of a day trying to get on this bloody thing, i havent been able to add comments and i defo cant get to log a subject myself. I may have a closer look at the weekend.
And just think Donna it will be hard to eat on rallies aswell i begrudge paying for salad cos its always so feeble.

Anonymous said...

you're doing great! Better than I... am going to have to walk my arse off (literally) this week to make up for it.
Keep up the good work! :D